MetaCase Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > > MetaEdit+
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Change font for generator editor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Contributor
Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bram.bolder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Change font for generator editor
    Posted: 09.Dec.2021 at 08:32
I find it a bit difficult to distinguish parentheses from curly braces in the generator editor. Is there maybe a way to change the font?

I'm using the Linux version of MetaEdit+ Workbench, in case that is relevant.
stevek View Drop Down
MetaCase
MetaCase

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09.Dec.2021 at 10:15
Hi Bram,
You can temporarily change the font with View | Font..., but if the default font (labelled "code") is hard to read, it would be best to make a permanent change. That "code" font is picked up based on matching the following font family names, in order of priority:
'courier new' 'courier*' 'nimbus mono*' '*mono*' '*'

Different OSs have different fonts, and while on Windows and Mac it's easy for us to name the "right" font, on Linux there are so many possible distributions and personal settings that it's not really possible. If your setup isn't finding a sensible font, I'd suggest installing Courier New or aliasing another fixed-width font to its name in your Linux font settings. 

Aliasing is probably the best approach, but of course there too Linux has many different approaches, so I'll have to leave the details to you. These links may help:

bram.bolder View Drop Down
Contributor
Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bram.bolder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09.Dec.2021 at 10:57
OK, thanks. It seems that I completely overlooked the existence of the "Font" menu entry Embarrassed. But thanks for the explanation of how to be able to override the default font from the outside.
bram.bolder View Drop Down
Contributor
Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bram.bolder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09.Dec.2021 at 14:59
Hmmm. It seems that setting the font for 'code' or 'default' does not change the font inside the editor. "fc-match code" and "fc-match default" show the change. If I set both 'default' and 'code' to be identical to that of 'pixel', I still get different fonts shown in the editor.
stevek View Drop Down
MetaCase
MetaCase

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09.Dec.2021 at 15:11
The names like "code" aren't fonts, they are just names used inside MetaEdit+. Make an alias from 'courier new' to some fixed width scalable font.
 Post Reply Post Reply