MetaEdit+ 4.5 program patches
These patches are only applicable to MetaEdit+ 4.5 and 4.5 SR1.
2011.04.11 Ellipses offset to right
in PostScript printing output
2011.02.08 Pict export could give errors for ellipses
2010.04.29 Multi-user only: abmulti33r, corrections for #classComment: error etc.
2009.12.15 Proactively release graphics memory to help some graphics cards
2009.11.19 Fixed API commands to create objects and bindings in diagrams
2009.10.23 Initial generators in Graph in new repository can now be changed
2009.08.18 Updated 4.5 SR1a Intro/Full installer's mep45.exe for better Vista & Windows 7 compatibility
2009.01.28 Updated version of Japanese patch available for SR1
2008.04.30 Updated scripts in Mac OS X version for 10.5.2
2008.04.02 4.5 SR1 released
2008.02.18 Pre-release version of 4.5 SR1 available for evaluation
2007.03.23 Windows: Changing screen color depth corrupts MetaEdit+ scroll bars or crashes it
2007.03.23 Japanese characters are displayed as black rectangles
How to use patch files
On Windows, save the patch file into the MetaEdit+ working directory (the
MetaEdit+ shortcut's "Start in" setting, e.g. "My Documents\MetaEdit+ 4.5"). Change the
MetaEdit+ shortcut, adding at the end:
fileInPatch: xxx.mep (replace xxx.mep
with the name of the patch file).
On Linux and Mac OS X, save the patch file in the
patches subdirectory of
your MetaEdit+ working directory.
All patch files are supplied 'as is', with no guarantees, and no liability for any damages is accepted by MetaCase.
Official Patches and Service Releases
Our current policy is to supply service releases and information on critical patches directly to customers with a valid maintenance agreement. Please contact your sales representative or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any problems.
- Ellipses offset to right in PostScript printing output
- PostScript output for ellipses (but not circles) was offsetting them to
the right. MetaEdit+ uses PostScript printing on non-Windows platforms. The
ellipsePSPrinting.mep patch corrects
this problem in the 3rd party PostScript driver used by MetaEdit+.
- Pict export could give errors for ellipses
- Exporting PICT vector graphics files from diagrams could give errors for
ellipses created or edited with MetaEdit+ 4.5. MetaEdit+ supports negative
angles for ellipses, but the PICT format expects a positive number. The
pictEllipse.mep patch translates the angles
correctly when exporting.
- Multi-user only: abmulti33r, corrections for #classComment: error etc.
- Single user version does not need this. The abmulti33r.mep patch fixes #classComment:,
#settingReferenceAndAdlioStackFor:, and immutable TwoByteString errors. See
abmulti33r.txt for details.
- Proactively release graphics memory to help some graphics cards, 15th December 2009
- If graphics memory runs out, MetaEdit+ will issue a primitive
failed error. This can occur if a graphics card manages its
memory poorly, or under extreme stress such as when exporting
many or large images or holding the zoom key down to make it
auto-repeat. The graphicsMemory.mep
patch makes MetaEdit+ proactively release graphics memory
immediately after its use ceases, rather than automatically
during garbage collection.
- Fixed API commands to create objects and bindings in diagrams, 19th November 2009
- There was a bug in two API commands for diagrams,
addNewObjectRepFor and addNewBindingRepFor, which caused them to
fail and return the failure value
to the caller as a SOAP fault: "Message not understood:
#reprElementSetAdd:". The reprCreationAPI.mep patch corrects the bug, and also makes
specifying the z-order index of new representations easier. 1 is
the backmost representation, so to add a new representation at
the front previously required knowing the total number of
representations; now the value 0 can be used for that.
- Initial generators in Graph in new repository can now be changed, 23rd October 2009
- When you create a new repository in MetaEdit+, an initial set of
generators useful for all graph types are saved in the Graph
metatype. In 4.5 and 4.5 SR1, they were created incorrectly,
such that when changed later the changes were not saved in the
repository, and hence were lost at the end of a session. The
demo repository and repositories converted from older versions
do not have this problem.
corrects the creation of new repositories, and also corrects all
repositories you subsequently log in to.
- Updated scripts in Mac OS X version, 30th April 2008
- Changes in X11 in Mac OS X version 10.5.2 required an update to the MetaEdit+
startup scripts. The metahelp and metarun scripts were also updated to provide
better support for non-standard installations of Safari or other browsers for
- 4.5 SR1 released, 2nd April 2008, release 4.5 Dev 92
- See the overview
and full change list, or
download the evaluation version.
- Japanese characters should be displayed correctly, not as black rectangles
- japanese2.mep allows input and viewing of
Japanese characters on SR1: see japanese2.txt
for details. Users without SR1 can use the older
japanese.mep instead. The Japanese patch should only be loaded if the OS locale is set
to Japanese. On Windows, the "Language for non-Unicode programs"
must also be set to Japanese to enable input of Japanese characters (Control
Panel | Regional and Language Options | Advanced page). Changing the OS
settings after MetaEdit+ has started has no effect.
These patches are not fully tested, nor normally necessary for operation of MetaEdit+: install them and use them with care, and only if you want or need the changes mentioned.
- Windows: Changing screen color depth corrupts MetaEdit+ scroll bars or crashes it
- WinColorDepthChange.mep makes
MetaEdit+ respond correctly to changes in screen color depth. (included
already in 4.5 SR1)
All significant known problems are cured by the patches above. If you
encounter a problem or error, please contact metaedit.support@meta