MetaCase Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > > MetaEdit+
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Metamodel Object: Abstract type display name

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Contributor
Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saivignesh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Metamodel Object: Abstract type display name
    Posted: 31.May.2017 at 09:43
I have a question regarding objects. I have a super type called _abc. When I add the _abc in my new graph. Is it possible to change the display name I get in my new graph? Like abc instead of _abc?
stevek View Drop Down
MetaCase
MetaCase

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31.May.2017 at 11:01
Object types have an internal name (which can be seen in XML export files), and the name you enter for the type in the Object Tool is thus already the user-visible name - so no, there isn't a third name you could enter somewhere. Of course you can change the icon and symbol to show what you like, and they are the things the users mostly look at, rather than the name. 

As you know, the _ at the start means the type is abstract, i.e. cannot itself be instantiated. We want to show the user that the type is abstract, so simply hiding the _ isn't ideal. In some places in the UI, we can simply show the concrete subtypes and not show the abstract supertype at all (e.g. in the dialog the user will see when creating an instance). In other places, where we have to show the abstract type, we can make it more obvious to the user by showing it in italic or grayed out, and in those cases we do indeed drop the _. In some places the OS / UI doesn't offer graying or italics, e.g. in menus, tooltips, or window title bars, and so there we have to show the full name with the _. 
Saivignesh View Drop Down
Contributor
Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saivignesh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31.May.2017 at 11:39
How do I do this "we can make it more obvious to the user by showing it in italic or grayed out, and in those cases we do indeed drop the _. In some places the OS / UI doesn't offer graying or italics, e.g. in menus, tooltips, or window title bars"
stevek View Drop Down
MetaCase
MetaCase

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31.May.2017 at 13:16
That's what the tool already does for you, not something you need to do; "we" there refers to MetaCase.
 Post Reply Post Reply